Work Items aren't created in TS as part of the synchronization process

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:54 PM
Hi, I have been able to creat project associations between MSP and TS projects on the connector admin site, but when I published the MSP project which contains the assignments which should be synchronized the WI weren't created in TS. I checked the DB of the Connector and I can see that all project associations were created in the Connector admin site appears in the DB but when I checked the TFS DB no new WI were registred.
I checked the event log and and I discovered a number of Errors regarding the synchronization.

Error 1:
Timestamp: 6/19/2007 5:49:17 PM
Message: HandlingInstanceID: cff4e69e-f8cd-415b-a0be-eaf64652ba95
An exception of type 'System.Data.StrongTypingException' occurred and was caught.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/19/2007 20:49:17
Type : System.Data.StrongTypingException, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Message : The value for column 'TASK_NAME' in table 'Task' is DBNull.
Source : Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.PS2007ServiceAgents
Help link :
Data : System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
TargetSite : System.String getTASKNAME()
Stack Trace : at ProjectDataSet.TaskRow.getTASKNAME()
at Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.PS2007Providers.PS2007WorkItemStoreProvider.GetAssignmentData(ProjectDataSet projectDataSet, Guid projectGuid)
at Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.WebServices.PS2007ProviderAdministration.GetAssignmentData(Int32 projectAssociationId)

Error 2:
Timestamp: 6/19/2007 5:49:17 PM
Message: HandlingInstanceID: b72f7468-6735-4946-9605-54c3127a2051
An exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' occurred and was caught.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/19/2007 20:49:17
Type : System.Web.HttpUnhandledException, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
Message : Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
Source : System.Web
Help link :
ErrorCode : -2147467259
TargetSite : Boolean HandleError(System.Exception)
Stack Trace : at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at ASP.createassnassociationsaspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\connector web site\c850ada2\8ed0e43e\AppWeb_il6t9qzj.0.cs:line 0
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Error 3:
Timestamp: 6/19/2007 5:49:41 PM
Message: HandlingInstanceID: dec4e431-52d2-49dd-93cb-bbc6513cb6df
An exception of type 'System.Data.StrongTypingException' occurred and was caught.
06/19/2007 20:49:41
Type : System.Data.StrongTypingException, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Message : The value for column 'TASK_NAME' in table 'Task' is DBNull.
Source : Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.PS2007ServiceAgents
Help link :
TargetSite : System.String getTASKNAME()
Stack Trace : at ProjectDataSet.TaskRow.getTASKNAME()
at Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.WebServices.HierarchyView.GetProjectAssociationHierarchy(ProjectAssociation projectAssociation)

Error 4:
Message: HandlingInstanceID: d23979f9-d4d8-4729-86ab-13705cf65b09
An exception of type 'Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.WebServices.ExceptionHandling.ConnectorWebServiceException' occurred and was caught.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type : Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.WebServices.ExceptionHandling.ConnectorWebServiceException, Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.WebServices, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Message : This operation could not be successfully performed. Please contact the administrator and refer to HandlingInstanceID: dec4e431-52d2-49dd-93cb-bbc6513cb6df
Source : Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling
Help link :
Actor :
Code : http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Server
Detail :
Lang :
Node :
Role :
SubCode :
TargetSite : System.Exception IntentionalRethrow(System.Exception, System.Exception)
Stack Trace : at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicyEntry.IntentionalRethrow(Exception chainException, Exception originalException)
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicyEntry.RethrowRecommended(Exception chainException, Exception originalException)
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicyEntry.Handle(Exception exceptionToHandle)
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicyImpl.HandleException(Exception exceptionToHandle)
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicy.HandleException(Exception exceptionToHandle, String policyName)
at Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.WebServices.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception exception)
at Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.WebServices.HierarchyView.GetProjectAssociationHierarchy(ProjectAssociation projectAssociation)
at Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.WebServices.HierarchyView.GetProjectAssociationHierarchy(Int32 projectAssocId)

Error 5:
Message: HandlingInstanceID: 678f8598-2170-4307-b0b3-2b7b964396e7
An exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' occurred and was caught.
Type : System.Web.HttpUnhandledException, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
Message : Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
Source : System.Web
Help link :
ErrorCode : -2147467259
TargetSite : Boolean HandleError(System.Exception)
Stack Trace : at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at ASP.hierarchyviewaspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\connector web site\c850ada2\8ed0e43e\AppWebootrwfe6.2.cs:line 0
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Roman
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2007 at 1:20 AM
Roman.
according to this log, it appears that you do not have a name for one/some of your tasks. Is that true? I havent actually seen that before, so I am not really sure if it is an issue or not. However, OOB the mapping between PS and TFS maps the task name of the assignments to the title for the Work Item. If you do not have names for your tasks, what would you want to map to the title for the WorkItems?

Thanks,
Lenny
Jun 21, 2007 at 6:30 AM
Edited Jun 21, 2007 at 7:59 AM
Lenny,

First of all thank you for this great tool.
I feel the similar difficulties, and I am sure that this is not becouse of the empty names. No matter what check boxes I have tried neither work item nor assignments are created automatically. At the same time after I make a link manually (WI - assignment) I received the following exception.

Timestamp: 6/21/2007 7:45:18 AM
Message: An exception occurred trying to create a new assignment via the Statusing APIs: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
Category: General
Priority: 12
EventId: 0
Severity: Critical
Title:
Machine: TFSBACKUP
Application Domain: /LM/W3SVC/3/Root/Connector Web Service-2-128268824089319818
Process Id: 1152
Process Name: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
Win32 Thread Id: 1104
Thread Name:
Extended Properties:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Mike.
Coordinator
Jun 21, 2007 at 12:33 PM
My pleasure. I just wish it were working for you right now :-). Let's see what we can do.

Mike, the error you listed above seems to be related to authorization issues. The error romans sent seem to indicate that the Task name was not being retrieved for some reason. I'll address the 401 issue you posted here, but if you're also experiencing the issue romans stated above, can you please let me know and provide more information about it (what are the task names, are there resources assigned to the tasks, etc).

The 401 error you are receiving is specific to using the Project Server 2007 Statusing API. The Connector uses the Statusing API to provide the EPM the ability to accept and reject Assignment creations and updates within Project Server (via Task Update). To do this, it needs to use the 'impersonation' model within Project Server and act on behalf of the resource for which it is updating the assignment. That is the sole reason why we need to collect the SiteGuid and SSP when the Connector is installed.

So, first check that the Connector account has permission to update and create tasks in Project Server. After that, check are to ensure that your SiteGuid and SSP are set correctly. These are stored in the web.config file for the Connector Web Service. If you use Enterprise Library 3.1, you can open the configuration file with the Configuration Tool -- underneath the covers, the Connector leverages a new Application Block that I created. Check this against what is displayed in SharePoint Central Administrator for your PWA. I can't include images in this reply, so I'll blog about it this/next week and try to walk you through it here:
  • Open SharePoint Central Administrator
  • Under Shared Services Administrator on the left Nav bar, you should see the name of your SSP. Make sure this is the same as the one you have in web.config
  • Click the SSP
  • Click Project Web Access Sites
  • Hover over your PWA site so that the dropdownselection appears and click edit
  • in the address bar, you should see a Guid at the end of the URL. This is the SiteGuid. Make sure it is the same as what is in the web.config file.

I know this is not elegant. That's why we do our best to find the siteGuid for you when installing the Connector.

If everything checks out okay there, I have seen other areas where a 401 can occur. I have been able to resolve this by adding the account for which the Connector runs to the list of service accounts for the SSP. Here's how to do this (again in Sharepoint central administrator):
  • Click Shared Service Administration in the nav bar
  • Hover over your SSP (in bold) site so that the dropdownselection appears and click edit properties
  • At the bottom of this page you should see a text box that allows you to add "Process Accounts with Access to the SSP". Add the account under which the Connector is running here and retest

Lastly, I have actually seen situations where, for some reason (and I have no idea why), the textbox I described above does not exist on the page. To add the account in this circumstance, go to the command line, navigate to Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN and run:
stsadm.exe -o editssp -title <SSPNAME> -setaccounts <accounts to add for access>

This should handle the majority of the 401 issues you get as it relates to the Statusing API. I know its not a real elegant way to diagnose the issue and I wish I had an easier way to help you resolve it, but for now, this is the most straightforward way to determine the cause of the 401.
Jun 26, 2007 at 6:50 AM
Edited Jun 26, 2007 at 7:25 AM
Lenny,

Thanks a lot for your help. The problem was really stupod as usual. I set the Custom field in the wrong VIEW. So the AutoSync option was not inheritit for the assighments. Maybe you can strees attention to this is the user guide.

It is still unclear why TFS tasks are not created in PS, but this is not my primary scenatio.

All I have to say, the tool is great!!!

Mike.
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2007 at 2:36 PM
Thanks, Mike. Appreciate the kind feedback.

By default, the Connector uses a two-step approval process. This may be why you are not seeing the assignments being created in PS. The owner for the project in PS will need to go to his/her Task Updates view in the PWA. If everything is working properly, you should see many new tasks waiting to be accepted. The goal here was to give the PM in Project Server the authority to approve or reject new tasks/assignments as they are created.

please check this out and let me know if it works.

Thanks,
Lenny
Sep 3, 2008 at 12:31 AM
Hi all,

This could be indeed a great tool...if only i was able to make it work :P

I have similar problems as Mike, but unfortunately for me the solution is not the wrong view to insert the columns (or at least i think so). I also checked everything Lenny said in the previous post, but those settings seems to be ok: guid and ssp address are correct, tfsservice account (which is the same that i used for the connector installation) added as service account in the properties of the ssp.

My installation is:

Machine 1 (CNTESTPROJSVR): Win Server 2003 STD SP2, Project Server 2007

Machine 2 (ROBERTOSERVER): Win Server 2003 STD SP2, TFS 2008, PS Connector

When I try to create an association between two projects, no matter if i choose the automatic association or the manual one (with the manual i can see tasks and assignments on both machines), after the association between assigments and tasks have been submitted, i get 6 errors on the TFS/Connector machine and complete silence on the PS machine.

These are the errors:

---------------------------Error #1-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Library Logging
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date:  3/09/2008
Time:  9:39:33 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: ROBERTOSERVER
Description:
Timestamp: 2/09/2008 11:39:33 PM
Message: An exception occurred trying to create a new assignment via the Statusing APIs: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
Title:
Machine: ROBERTOSERVER
Application Domain: /LM/W3SVC/437578395/Root/Connector Web Service-3-128648710306346857
Process Id: 1632
Win32 Thread Id: 2596
Thread Name:
Extended Properties:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

---------------------------Error #2-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:
Title:
Application Domain: /LM/W3SVC/437578395/Root/Connector Web Service-3-128648710306346857
Thread Name:
Extended Properties:

---------------------------Error #3-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:
Title:
Thread Name:
Extended Properties:

---------------------------Error #4-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:
Title:
Thread Name:
Extended Properties:

---------------------------Error #5-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event ID: 1334
Time:  9:39:34 AM
Description:
An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated.

Application ID: DefaultDomain

Process ID: 1632

Exception: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException

Message: Unable to find assembly 'Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.PS2007Providers, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

StackTrace:    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryAssemblyInfo.GetAssembly()
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.GetType(BinaryAssemblyInfo assemblyInfo, String name)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectMap..ctor(String objectName, String[] memberNames, BinaryTypeEnum[] binaryTypeEnumA, Object[] typeInformationA, Int32[] memberAssemIds, ObjectReader objectReader, Int32 objectId, BinaryAssemblyInfo assemblyInfo, SizedArray assemIdToAssemblyTable)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadObjectWithMapTyped(BinaryObjectWithMapTyped record)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadObjectWithMapTyped(BinaryHeaderEnum binaryHeaderEnum)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.Run()
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.CrossAppDomainSerializer.DeserializeObject(MemoryStream stm)
   at System.AppDomain.Deserialize(Byte[] blob)
   at System.AppDomain.UnmarshalObject(Byte[] blob)

---------------------------Error #6-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
Event ID: 5000
Time:  9:39:56 AM
Description:
EventType clr20r3, P1 w3wp.exe, P2 6.0.3790.3959, P3 45d6968e, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 471ebc5b, P7 4642, P8 4b, P9 150kuqa02kududulzcxaalj5gspipj25, P10 NIL.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what to do anymore, i feel like i tried everything...i will be reaaaaaally thankful if someone could help me.
If you need more logs/infos just let me know.

Cheers,

Roberto

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:17 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2008 at 1:29 PM
I suffered from the same problem, but Lenny helped me out. In the Install Guide on page 9 you are requested to enter the uri for Project Server SSP. This is not the uri where you create the PWA sites, but the uri of Shared Services of the Office Server Web Services. (default http://xxx:56737/SharedServices1). You can correct this in Web.Config of the Connector web Service.