Can't get this to work

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:44 AM
I used the guide to install but when I try to access the connector web site I get prompted to log in. No matter what I try and enter I end up with a 401.

Here is what shows up in the event log...

Event code: 3005
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
Event time: 6/20/2007 6:35:54 PM
Event time (UTC): 6/21/2007 2:35:54 AM
Event ID: b6a9b710b6b64806ab124ddd9e8c466e
Event sequence: 135
Event occurrence: 10
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/Connector Web Site-1-128268666496142825
Trust level: Full
Application Virtual Path: /Connector Web Site
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Project Server 2007 Connector\Connector Web Site\
Machine name: WBPROJECTSVR

Process information:
Process ID: 1284
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: <domain Name>

Exception information:
Exception type: HttpUnhandledException
Exception message: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.

Request information:
Request URL: http://localhost:8085/Connector Web Site/Default.aspx
Request path: /Connector Web Site/Default.aspx
User host address: 127.0.0.1
User: <domain Name>
Is authenticated: True
Authentication Type: Negotiate
Thread account name: WAB\webadmin

Thread information:
Thread ID: 1
Thread account name: <domain Name>
Is impersonating: False
Stack trace: at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at ASP.projectlistaspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\connector web site\d764be1f\8b9fe472\AppWeb_c3i7owzo.5.cs:line 0
at System.Web.HttpServerUtility.ExecuteInternal(IHttpHandler handler, TextWriter writer, Boolean preserveForm, Boolean setPreviousPage, VirtualPath path, VirtualPath filePath, String physPath, Exception error, String queryStringOverride)

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Coordinator
Jun 21, 2007 at 1:36 PM
Thanks smooner. I have a few questions for you:
  • did you do a two-server or three server installation?
  • are there any other errors in the event log that you can post? The one you have posted doesn't provide a ton of information and I am hoping there are additional messages that may have more information

Thanks again,
Lenny
Jun 22, 2007 at 8:22 PM
Edited Jun 22, 2007 at 8:24 PM
Two server installation. The connector web site and project server on one server and the TFS Server as the second server. I cannot un-install the Connector either.

When I try and Browse the http://<servername>/web site connector from IIS on the server hosting the site I get....

This operation could not be successfully performed. Please contact the administrator and refer to HandlingInstanceID: 001bd6bc-b3c7-4fbd-84f2-50b9318d9557

The only other error in the event log is this which is happen about every two minutes since I installed the Connector.

A runtime exception was detected. Details follow.
Message: Windows NT user or group 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' not found. Check the name again.

Techinal Details:
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Windows NT user or group 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' not found. Check the name again.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)......
Coordinator
Jun 22, 2007 at 10:45 PM
On a two-server installation, the Connector should typically be installed under the same port as the TFS Services (which is 8080) by default. Otherwise, Sharepoint tries to intercept all the calls to the Connector. Did you do this?
Jun 25, 2007 at 11:09 PM
Did I set this up wrong? I installed the Connector on the Server that hosts the Project Server and SharePoint. By the way it will not let me uninstall the connector via Add\Remove Programs.
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2007 at 4:28 PM
Well, we didnt test with the COnnector on the Project Server. In a two-server installation, the Connector is supposed to be installed on the TFS server. So, yeah, I guess you installed it wrong.

Having said that, I don't know why it wouldn't work the way you have it installed. The Connector part is really just a web, site, wer services, and databases. I am not sure why you are not seeing other errors in the event log. The connector uses the Enterprise Library Exception and Logging application blocks, so it should be logging the exceptions just fine. You should be able to find an exception logged in the event log with the HandlingInstanceId you have included above. Can you check the identity for the app pool under which the Connector Web service is running? Is it running with an identity that has rights to access the PSI methods in project server, read, write, and modfiy work items in TFS, and lof information into the event log on that box?

Thanks,
Lenny