Custom TFS Template Configuration

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:32 PM
Edited Oct 2, 2007 at 9:32 PM
Please provide some help with configuring this connector software to work with a custom TFS Template. I have installed the latest version, 1.1, and am able to associate projects, but the Connector UI can only populate one of the drop down menus on the "Assigment Association Creation" Page. When "By Work Item" is selected, the WorkItems in TFS are populated but the Tasks in Project are not populated. When "By Assignement" is selected, the Tasks in Project are populated but none of the WorkItems from TFS are populated. This situation results in no associations being made because the "Add" button is always turned off. A previous post solved this problem by using one of the out-of-box TFS templates, but I must figure out how to use a customized template. Is there any documentation or tutorials available anywhere? Thanks.
Coordinator
Feb 4, 2008 at 7:43 PM
The first thing I would do is ensure you have the Enterprise Library 3.1 Configuration Tool installed on your box. The Connector, at its heart, is an Application Block, much like those that ship with Enterprise Library. The difference is that the Connector's core concern is propagating changes to WorkItems and resources with a partner system -- in this case, Project Server 2007. With the EL Configuration Tool installed, it iwll be much easier to customize the mapping for the Connector than it will be to muck with raw XML.

The specific issue you ar ehaving is probabaly because you have not created a mapping for the new custom template. When you see the mapping for the OOB templates with the Connector, you'll want to emulate them. Add a new mapping for your custom template and then add the WITs you want to support. Its often easiest to copy one of the mappings for the existing templates, rename it, and then modify it to your needs than it is to start creating a new mapping from scratch,

HTH,
Lenny