Where is the connector website installed.

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:21 AM
Hi folks,

Can someone tell me where the project connector website is installed?

Unfortunately the 'End User Manual' for the connector has an intelligent one line statement "1. Browse to the home page of the connector website" which is about as useful a statement as asking someone if its raining hard during hurricane katrina.

I have installed the connector using the two server install method, and I am assuming that the connector web site is located on the TFS box rather than the project server box. However, I can find no reference to any URL nor can I find out in IIS where its installed. There is a directory in program_files but again this contains no useful information. I know the product is installed because I have uninstalled and re-installed the thing several times.

I have tried some urls taken from other posts on this forum but none seem to work.

It would be useful if the documentation could be updated a bit more than some screen shots - for example, saying what directories things are installed into, what IIS entries would should see and how to access the various components would be greatfully accepted.

Anyhow, what should I be typing into the browser window to make this thing work, and where (in IIS?) should I be looking to see if it has been correctly installed?
Oct 25, 2007 at 9:11 AM
Hi,
You can find information in IIS in its folder \Web Sites\Team Foundation Server\Connector Web Site. If you followed manual, site should be on address http://<nameOfTheServer>:8080/Connector%20Web%20Site/
Oct 28, 2007 at 11:54 PM
Hi,

In the 2 server setup I did not see anything installed in IIS. I see the log file state that setup had completed successfully and I saw an application installed in to a sub-dir of the windows directory, but no changes were made to IIS.

I tried the three server setup (and can see the connector web site dir in IIS), but when I try and access the website I get an error message stating that the webconfig file should be modified to allow error messages to be displayed (its set to remote). When I access the site from a remote browser I get a simple error message on a sharepoint page:

The following file(s) have been blocked by the administrator: /connector web site/default.asp

With no other information.

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:20 AM
When you installed Connector (2 server setup) did you select an option "Team Foundation Server.." for site?
If not this can be reason for your problem...

Second problem that you have can be security issue and you should check .Net Configuration Tool to see do you have enough permissions to use the site and what are the policies on machine.

I hope this will help you :)
Oct 30, 2007 at 4:12 AM
I managed to get one step further..

Now I am stuck with an HandlingInstanceId error when I try and browser to the connector site.

The event log shows an exception being thrown in GetPublishedProjects() (which I think is making a call CheckAuthentication()) with the message: Login Failed.

Unfortunately I am unable to determine why the login failed and to what it was trying to log into (the project server or the tfs server).

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:08 AM
This can be if you didn't add user account that you used for installation of Connector to team members on PS or TFS.... Try to add that account to team members for project on PS.
Oct 31, 2007 at 3:46 AM
I am assuming that you mean the service account that was used to install the connector s/w for each box (project server and tfs server). Although I am reluctant to use machine service accounts for user access, I have done this, but it still does not work.

Same error.

Message : Error executing child request for /Connector Web Site/Project_List.aspx.
ErrorCode : -2147467259
Data : System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal

And the other one

Message : Login failed. Please ensure that the server and authentication mechanisms are configured properly.
Source : Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.PS2007ServiceAgents
TargetSite : Void CheckAuthentication()
Nov 20, 2007 at 12:50 AM

AndyW2007 wrote:
I am assuming that you mean the service account that was used to install the connector s/w for each box (project server and tfs server). Although I am reluctant to use machine service accounts for user access, I have done this, but it still does not work.

Same error.

Message : Error executing child request for /Connector Web Site/Project_List.aspx.
ErrorCode : -2147467259

And the other one

Message : Login failed. Please ensure that the server and authentication mechanisms are configured properly.
Source : Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.PS2007ServiceAgents
TargetSite : Void CheckAuthentication()

I am encountering the same issue - have you managed to resolve this? I'm using Windows authentication all-round and everything was installed using the TFS service account which is a member of the required groups on the TFS box - does it also need certain permissions on the Project Server box? One thing I wasn't sure on when installing was the URL for the Project Server SSP, so I don't know if that's causing any issues.

Any help would be appreciated.
Nov 20, 2007 at 7:37 PM
Hi,
At the end of the day I decided to give up and removed the product as being not suitable to use, mainly because of poor documentation and indecipherable error messages (unless I guess one is a sharepoint developer and can debug the code). The amount of time it was taking to work things out was just taking too much time.

I might revisit the product at some stage later on but the plan would be to install TFS on a clean VM and sharepoint/project server on another clean VM to remove any environmental factors.

Post a message if you do succeed in getting the product to work as from what I have seen of the project server side of things it looks like it could be useful.

Coordinator
Feb 4, 2008 at 5:00 PM
Sorry, Andy. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

I know setting up the permissions with Project Server can be daunting. I have tried to document the most common issues that occur under the setup/installation FAQ on this site. Did you look there? Specifically at the subject I am receiving a 401 error when I try to use the Connector Web Site. What is wrong?. These actions usually help resolve authorization issues. If you're see "Login failed", my first guess would be that the account under which the Connector is running (check the app pool for the Connector Web Service) simply has not been added to Project Server as a valid user. Can you check that out.

HTH,
Lenny