VSTS Connector .MSI installer

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I have setup TFS 2008 and Project Server 2007 in a 2 tier environment.  I have VSTS with Team Explorer installed on the TFS server.  When I try to install the .msi The installer does not create any log files at c:\window\ps2007-TFSConnectorsetup.log  The error says setup has encountered and unexpected error,  Please run installer at a later date.  in event log it says Installation success or failure 1603

I read in one of the blogs that you may need to install the vcredist_x86.exe so I installed on both servers.  We are running Windows 2008 R2.  Can someone please help us to at least get the .mci to run?  Has anyone been able to run the VSTS on Windows 2008?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I was having the same problem with my installation.  I installed all available windows updates, installed the redistributable and everything ran fine.  However I'm now having the problem that when I attempt to install the second component the tfs service user is unable to log into the event web service for PWA.  The user has full control on the site and is a web administrator.  I've rebooted IIS just to make sure that wasn't the problem. I'm getting the following message:

< 12:55:58 > Loging to the project server event service : http://XXXXX/PWA/_vti_bin/psi/events.asmx
< 12:55:58 > LoginToEventsService Started
< 12:56:00 > LoginToEventsService Completed
< 12:56:15 > InstallEventHandlers failed due to following Exception : The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
Stacktrace for the exception :    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at CustomAction.PSEvents.Events.ReadEventsList()
   at CustomAction.CommonCustomAction.InstallPSEventHandlers(String projectWebAccessUrl, String userName, String password)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:36 AM
Edited Mar 10, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Thanks for youe reply, I have installed all the latest Microsoft updates and vcredist.  I even installed the SP1 for the vcredist.  Still, just says that the installer has ran into an enexpected error and to look at the errors in the C:\windows\ps2007-xxxxx log file, but the installer never creates a log file.  In the event log I see the following error -  Log Name:      Application
Source:        MsiInstaller
Date:          3/10/2010 6:33:17 AM
Event ID:      11708
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
Description:
Product: Microsoft Project Server 2007 Connector -- Installation operation failed.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">11708</EventID>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-03-10T11:33:17.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>315197</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>name changed</Computer>
    <Security UserID="name changed" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Product: Microsoft Project Server 2007 Connector -- Installation operation failed.</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>

<Binary>contents changed</Binary>

</EventData>
</Event>

and this error

Log Name:      Application
Source:        MsiInstaller
Date:          3/10/2010 6:33:17 AM
Event ID:      1033
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          name changed
Computer:      name changed
Description:
Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft Project Server 2007 Connector. Product Version: 2.0.0.0. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1603.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1033</EventID>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-03-10T11:33:17.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>315198</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>name changed</Computer>
    <Security UserID="name changed" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Microsoft Project Server 2007 Connector</Data>
    <Data>2.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>1033</Data>
    <Data>1603</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>data changed</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

but no other errors.

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Did any one find a solution for this error?

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM

No, I can’t even get anyone to reply to me from the vsts group.

Thank you,

Phillip LeMaster

Systems Administrator MCSE, MCP+I, iNet+

Kentucky Interactive / Kentucky.gov

229 West Main Street

Suite 400

Frankfort, Ky 40601

(502)875-3733 ext 110 work

(502)875-3722 Fax

502)545-2200 Mobile

phillip@kentucky.gov

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you do not have permission to disclose, copy, distribute, or open any attachments. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your system.

Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 5:16 AM
To: LeMaster, Phillip
Subject: Re: VSTS Connector .MSI installer [pstfsconnector:199527]

Did any one find a solution for this error?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (pstfsconnector@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email pstfsconnector@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com