Errors on project publish

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:25 PM
Hello
Each time I publish project I recieve following errors in Project Server eventlog

Event Handler \Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.PS2007EventHandlers.ProjectEventsReceiver\ threw an exception: The request failed with HTTP status 405: Method Not Allowed.
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at PS2007EventReceivers.AutoSynchronizeEnterpriseProject(Guid projectGuid)
at Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.PS2007EventHandlers.ProjectEventsReceiver.OnPublished(PSContextInfo contextInfo, ProjectPostPublishEventArgs e)

and one more

Event Handler \Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.PS2007EventHandlers.ProjectEventsReceiver\ threw an exception: The request failed with HTTP status 400: Bad Request.
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at PS2007EventReceivers.ReleasePendingProjectUpdate(Guid projectGuid)
at Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.PS2007EventHandlers.ProjectEventsReceiver.OnCheckIn(PSContextInfo contextInfo, ProjectPostEventArgs e)

Any ideas?
Feb 7, 2008 at 2:48 PM
I've already found solution.
The problem was in wrong proxy configuration (arghhh)
So, finally I've got working connector with TFS 2008!
Coordinator
Feb 7, 2008 at 7:47 PM
petka,
Thanks for your reply. However, as happy as I would be to see w orking version of the Connector n TFS2008, I don't think your version will be 'feature complete'. The main reason is that there is a breaking change b/w TFS 2005 and TFS 2008 (see http://blogs.msdn.com/buckh/archive/2007/11/07/how-to-list-the-team-projects-created-with-a-particular-template-in-tfs-2008.aspx ) and the Connector relies heavily upon this feature for many of its features.

So, while you have a working version, I strongly believe that there are many functions (like creating a new project association) that will not work for you until I come up with a workaround for this new issue
Feb 8, 2008 at 6:56 AM
Yes, there was such issue, I've currently solved it by hardcoding that templateId.
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2008 at 7:23 PM

NEED FEEDBACK:

Yeah. Unfortunately, I cannot do that for the general solution.
Here's what I am thinking. I need some feedback on this.
Look like there is no trick to resolve this issue in TFS 2008. My plan is to update the process template that the Connector provides to (1) make sure they work right (there's been some issues with them) and (2) include a field which stores the process template information needed for the connector.

This doesn't help with the OOB templates or those that you might get from third parties though. My thoughts right now would be to document, in exruciating detail, how you would need to customize these process templates and retroactively add information to projects that have already been created from them such that the process template information is contained within (and therefore the connector can get at that information).

What do you think of this solution? I am not loving it; I must admit; however, for the time being there is no clear cut way to get process template information for a project within TFS 2008.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:45 AM
Well, my opinion is that only solution is to provide abilitity to specify process template at Connector web site when project association is created.
I think that would be enought.
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2008 at 7:17 PM
I fear that doing this allows for someone to select the wrong template. I am working on a separate tool to allow organizations to 'fix' the templates and resulting projects so that this error is less probable. I'll probably need to blog about it. Should e within a day or so.
Feb 11, 2008 at 8:38 PM
Can somebody explain in detail .. what need to be done to make this connector work as i am getting TEMPLATENAME cannot be null error ??

And what was the TFS proxy configuration thing ?

petka wrote:
I've already found solution.
The problem was in wrong proxy configuration (arghhh)
So, finally I've got working connector with TFS 2008!

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:15 AM
sandeepnahta, It is not TFS proxy it our intranet proxy. .NET automatically uses it if configured in IE.
If you want to fix "TEMPLATENAME cannot be null error" currently you have to modify source code (I don't think it's a good idea:).
Or wait for next release (hopefully it will be)

lfenster, well it's better solution.
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2008 at 2:22 PM
Right, the source code will be modified for the Connector to support TFS 2008 due to the issue in the API that I referenced above. You will see a blog from me later today or tomorrow explaining how I will work around this for the next version of the Connector. I've written a tool to make it easier for folks to inject the templateName into existing projects and the new version of the Connector will get the templateName from the project properties instead of the templateId.

I'll update this discussion with the blog post as soon as I release it. Just want to run it by the TFS team first to make sure they're okay with it too.
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2008 at 10:00 PM
Please check out http://blogs.msdn.com/lfenster/archive/2008/02/14/getting-a-process-template-for-a-team-project-in-tfs-2008.aspx. You may need this to upgrade your existing projects to use the Connector for TFS 2008 (due to be released very soon!!!)