TFS Connector Admin Site Error

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:19 PM
Hi,

After successfully installing the PS2007 TFS Connector, I opened the admin site and the following error message was displayed: This operation could not be successfully performed. Please contact the administrator and refer to HandlingInstanceID: 4af79b14-8e90-4a3a-8feb-28f9263e3ed3

On looking at the Event Viewer the following was displayed:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: Web Event
Event ID: 1309
Date: 3/11/2008
Time: 8:18:19 PM
User: N/A
Computer: VSTSDEMO
Description:
Event code: 3005
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
Event time: 3/11/2008 8:18:19 PM
Event time (UTC): 3/11/2008 12:18:19 PM
Event ID: d5f0e2d7cc154db88f6bc7661d8541b1
Event sequence: 4
Event occurrence: 1
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/134291744/Root/Connector Web Site-1-128497114797836912
Trust level: Full
Application Virtual Path: /Connector Web Site
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Project Server 2007 Connector\Connector Web Site\
Machine name: VSTSDEMO

Process information:
Process ID: 3756
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: VSTSDEMO\wssadmin

Exception information:
Exception type: SoapException
Exception message: This operation could not be successfully performed. Please contact the administrator and refer to HandlingInstanceID: ac59ac3f-97b5-49dd-aa3e-9acbf032524f

Request information:
Request URL: http://vstsdemo:8080/Connector Web Site/Project_Details.aspx
Request path: /Connector Web Site/Project_Details.aspx
User host address: 192.168.1.116
User: VSTSDEMO\Administrator
Is authenticated: True
Authentication Type: NTLM
Thread account name: VSTSDEMO\wssadmin

Thread information:
Thread ID: 1
Thread account name: VSTSDEMO\wssadmin
Is impersonating: False
Stack trace: at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at PS2007ProviderAdministration.ActiveProjectAssociations()
at Microsoft.Vsts.Ranger.Connector.WebUI.BLL.ProjectsManager.get_UnassociatedPSProjects()
at ProjectDetailsaspx.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Could you shed some light on the cause of the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2008 at 3:02 PM
For some reason, you're getting an error when calling the Connector Web Services. There may be more messages in the event log that can shed some light on why. However, you could also try going directly to the Connector web services and try executing them to see if it helps narrow down what the issue might be. You should be able to get to the web services at
http://<machinename>:<port>/Connector Web Service/

e.g., http://localhost:8080/Connector%20Web%20Service/PS2007ProviderAdministration.asmx

Specifically, it appears you are having an ActiveProjectAssociations() web method, which ends up calling into the Connector databases (among other things). You may want to check that the account under which the connector is running has appropriate permissions to the databases (I've seen this cause this issue before). If this is indeed the case, checking some of the other event logs should show you an issue related to the SqlClient.

HTH.
Lenny
Mar 12, 2008 at 4:12 AM
Edited Mar 12, 2008 at 10:25 AM
Hi Lenny,

After further retries I was able to get connector admin screen working. I was also able to see the projects created from both Project Server and TFS when I clicked "Create new project association". When I selected the auto-save check boxes and clicked Save, the the screen showed projects had been associated and was in the 'locked' state, as expected. However, the project association never came out of the locked state, and and error occurs.

Looking into the event viewer the following were created:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Library Logging
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 3/12/2008
Time: 3:47:38 PM
Description:
Timestamp: 3/12/2008 7:47:38 AM
Message: Unable to locate configuration information for the process template of MSF Agile For PS Connector - v4.2
Category: General
Priority: 12
EventId: 0
Severity: Critical
Title:
Machine: VSTSDEMO
Application Domain: /LM/W3SVC/134291744/Root/Connector Web Service-2-128497800444919456
Process Id: 4604
Process Name: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
Win32 Thread Id: 6080
Thread Name:
Extended Properties:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
------------------------------------------------

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Library Logging
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 3/12/2008
Time: 3:47:38 PM
Description:
Timestamp: 3/12/2008 7:47:38 AM
Message: Unable to obtain the WorkItemTypeMapping from configuration for WorkItemType MSF Agile For PS Connector - v4.2 and ProcessTemplate Task
Category: General
Priority: 12
EventId: 0
Severity: Critical
Title:
Machine: VSTSDEMO
Application Domain: /LM/W3SVC/134291744/Root/Connector Web Service-2-128497800444919456
Process Id: 4604
Process Name: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
Win32 Thread Id: 6080
Thread Name:
Extended Properties:

------------------------------------

Looks to me some problem with the MSF Agile For PS Connector - v4.2 process template which I used to create the TFS Team Project. Any resolution for this?

BTW, the connector is deployed on a TFS 2008 installation. Any compatibility issues with the connector?

Appreciate yr help. Thanks.

Ken
Mar 13, 2008 at 8:00 AM
Hi,

Finally got the connector to work in TFS2008. What I did was to follow the instruction in http://blogs.msdn.com/lfenster/archive/2008/02/14/getting-a-process-template-for-a-team-project-in-tfs-2008.aspx to modify the process template "MSF for Agile Software Development - v4.2" and create a team project based on it. Then assoicated it with a PS2007 project. One point to note is that the property name ("templateName") inserted into the template is case-sensitive. I initially typed as "templatename" and could not get the connector to work.

Still puzzled as to the use of "MSF Agile For PS Connector - v4.2" process template though. And it does not seem to work.

Ken
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2008 at 9:26 AM
Thanks Kohwee,
You're saying a project cvreated with the "MSF Agile For PS Connector - v4.2" process template didnt have the templateName in it? If so, this is a bug that i thought I had tested and ensured did not exist. I'll fix this if this is what you're saying -- can you confirm?
Mar 20, 2008 at 5:36 PM
Hi,

The "MSF Agile For PS Connector - v4.2" process template does have the templateName in it, but still fails half way through project association - a dialog box appears asking whether to debug with visual studio and the project association never came out of the locked state. A number of errors were also shown in the event viewer with one saying "Message: Unable to locate configuration information for the process template of MSF Agile For PS Connector - v4.2" and another saying Message: Unable to obtain the WorkItemTypeMapping from configuration for WorkItemType MSF Agile For PS Connector - v4.2 and ProcessTemplate Task. These messages were in my earlier thread above.

BTW, what is the difference between this "MSF Agile For PS Connector - v4.2" template and the standard Agile process template that come with the TFS installation?

Ko Hwee
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2008 at 6:30 PM
Thank Ko,
I'll check it out.
There's not too much difference between the two -- the Connector templates just have additional fields for showing synchronization status of a work item. That's all.
HTH,
Lenny
Apr 2, 2008 at 3:39 AM

Hi,kohwee
I have encountered this problem,and I don't know how to access event log.Can you help me ?Thank you very muth.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:45 AM
Hi,kohwee
I know how to access event log .
but about this problem "This operation could not be successfully performed. Please contact the administrator and refer to HandlingInstanceID: 4af79b14-8e90-4a3a-8feb-28f9263e3ed3" I don't know how to resolve now.
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2008 at 10:16 AM
Liuhui,
Just search the event log for that handlingInstanceId. More specific details about the error you encountered will be contained within it.
Apr 28, 2008 at 7:13 PM
lfenster, I'm getting the same thing. I have tried updating the templateName for TFS projects that already exist, as well as created new TFS projects with the 'MSF Agile For PS Connector -v4.2' template and I'm still seeing errors in the EventLog implying that it still can't locate the process template.
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2008 at 4:59 PM
are you using the tool I created for injecting the process template name? If so, what is the process template name that it is showing? What are the different processtemplates available within the Connector web service's web.config file?
Apr 29, 2008 at 6:14 PM
Yes, I used the tool you created and updated the templateNames, I even successfully got old TFS Projects to synch. After looking in the web.config, it only shows 'MSF for Agile Software Development - v4.2' and 'MSF for CMMI Process Improvement - v4.2'. The 'PS' templates are missing which are giving me the error. Is there a way to add these other templates to the connector service or should I just create projects in TFS the old way and use your tool to update the templateName?
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2008 at 7:18 PM
the quickest way to fix it would be to either rename the processTemplates in the web.config by adding giving it the 'PS' template names or just copying the config for the two existing processtemplates and renaming them with the 'PS' names. The process templates are pretty similar save an extra SyncState field in the PS ones (and this field is not represented in the mapping configuration anyway)