Work Item Types Disappear

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:44 PM
Hello,

Has anyone had the following problem?

We have a project plan on our Project Server 2007 that is linked to other "parent" project plans. We create tasks and save the project plan. We then connect to a Team Project. We then try to enter the Work Item Type (Task, Bug, ect.) in our project plan by selecting from the dropdown list. The type "Task" or "Bug" appears for a few seconds and then disappears. We try over and over but the work item type keeps disappearing.

We are not able to publish the tasks to the Team Project (TFS 2005) because there is an invalid Work Item Type.

However if we are able to quickly Publish a task before its work item type disappears, we are able to successfully publish that one task. Refresh cause the work item type for that task to appear for a few seconds before it again disappears.

If anyone has any suggestions about what we might be doing wrong we would really appreciate some help.

Sophie Bunce
Georgia Dept. of Education
Mar 18, 2008 at 10:28 PM
It turns out that you need to do the following steps in order:
1. Open a .mpp file in project server that has the tasks that you want to transfer to a Team Project.
2. From the .mpp file, connect to a Team Project
3. Publish the project TO PROJECT SERVER first (File -> Publish). (This was the key step which must be done before step 4).
4. Then you can add work item types and they will not disappear.
5. Publish your work items to team system.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2008 at 8:20 AM
the enterprsie work items types is what you are saying is disappearing? This should come from project server and should not be disappearing in your project plan. Is that what you say is occurring?
Mar 20, 2008 at 1:00 PM

lfenster wrote:
the enterprsie work items types is what you are saying is disappearing? This should come from project server and should not be disappearing in your project plan. Is that what you say is occurring?

Not exactly. I'm saying that when you connect a .mpp file to a Team Project, you suddenly see many new columns from TFS in the .mpp document such as work item type, area, iteration, etc. that were not there previously, These new columns come from the Team Project's process template that defines these fields for work items. The valid values of these fields are defined on the Team System side. After you connect to a Team Project, you then see a drop-down for "work item type" that allows you to select the value of task, bug, risk, issue, etc.

The point I was trying to make is that IF you start selecing these work item type values BEFORE you publish the document to project server, the work item types that you enter disappear. I can only assume that this is happening because project server doesn't know that this particular .mpp file now has all these new columns since the publish step hasn't happened yet., and it is somehow attempting to "refresh" our .mpp file. I know quite a bit about Team System but virtually nothing about project server, so as I said, this is just an assumption.

After we published the .mpp file containing the new columns to Project Server, from that point on we had no problem with work item types disappearing and we were able to successfully publish our PS tasks to our Team Project. I assume this is because PS now "knows" that this .mpp file has these new columns.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2008 at 1:17 PM
Okay, but that is specific to MS Project Client integration with TFS and has nothing to do with the Connector. For the Connector, Enterprise Work item Types in Project Server are mapped to Work Item Types in TFS. I think we're talking apples and oranges here.

Is there something specific you are trying to do with the Connector or are you just trying to use the native MS Project Pro integration that exists within TFS?
Mar 20, 2008 at 4:04 PM

lfenster wrote:
Okay, but that is specific to MS Project Client integration with TFS and has nothing to do with the Connector. For the Connector, Enterprise Work item Types in Project Server are mapped to Work Item Types in TFS. I think we're talking apples and oranges here.

Is there something specific you are trying to do with the Connector or are you just trying to use the native MS Project Pro integration that exists within TFS?

It's probably ignorance on my part. I know nothing about Enterprise work item types in PS, but it sound like we need to use them. Do you have any documentation on how to do this so that the .mpp files we create in PS already "map" to these Enterprise work item types before I try to connect them to a Team Project?

What we want to do is to create projects in .mpp and migrate tasks to Team System and then when one side changes we want to see the changes reflected on the other side. I apologize because I haven't been directly involved in the Connector and have not read all of the documentation. So if you have published documentation that answers these basic questions, please just point me to it and I'll read it.

Thanks for your help.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2008 at 5:37 PM
you might check the documentation that comes with the Connector; however, I know it doesn't get rave reviews. I blogged a little about this at http://blogs.msdn.com/lfenster/archive/2007/07/05/getting-started-with-the-connector.aspx and toward the bottom of the blog I describe Enterprise Work Item Types. Let me know if this works for you, okay?
Mar 20, 2008 at 7:33 PM

lfenster wrote:
you might check the documentation that comes with the Connector; however, I know it doesn't get rave reviews. I blogged a little about this at http://blogs.msdn.com/lfenster/archive/2007/07/05/getting-started-with-the-connector.aspx and toward the bottom of the blog I describe Enterprise Work Item Types. Let me know if this works for you, okay?

Is this blog for the TFS2008-PS2007 connector or for the TFS2005-PS2007 connector? At the moment for our first demo we are using TFS2005-PS2007 but will be moving shortly to the 2008 version. Thanks again for the info.
Mar 20, 2008 at 9:27 PM
I've just read some of the documentation for the first time. As you mentioned, the steps I outlined only use the native capability of TFS and PS instead of the capability of the Connector. So, we were indeed talking apples and oranges. My apologies. My focus and responsibilities were elsewhere and I had received some incorrect information on how this worked which I did not double check. Fortunately, your documentation is putting me back on track.

Feel free to remove my answer since it may confuse people. Anyway, I have been helped, so thank you.
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2008 at 12:51 PM
Happy to have helped. Please just let me know if there is anything else you need :-)
Feb 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM
Dear Sir
            I have installed TFS server 2005 at one machine and I have MS Project Server 2007 another machine. Now I want to connect Project server with TFS. I got the one link (http://www.codeplex.com/pstfsconnector/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Setup%20Guide), here I got the VSTS connector for MS Project Server 2007 and TFS 2005 integration. TFS2005 software is working very well before this connectore installation. When I installed the connector by following the proper guideline which are present at given link. After complete installation, When I start the TFS Server and open the TFS Explorer then I got following error.

"TFS31001: Team Foundation cannot retrieve the list of team projects from Team Foundation Server ss01-cpu-118. The TEam Foundation Server returned the following error: The request failed with HTTP status 404:."

I was installing this connector on TFS Machine as per guideline which are given on website(http://www.codeplex.com/pstfsconnector/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Setup%20Guide). I was login with TFSSETUP on TFS machine. Although I have installed TFS server 2005 with this Login. While on installation I used the TFSSERVICE account for TFS installation.

Please if any one have any solution about this problem. Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks

Best Regards

Muhammad Waseem Alvi