Issues when Approving Changes

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:05 AM
Edited Apr 24, 2008 at 5:05 PM
Hi,

I'm struggling with basic functionality of the connector.

I'm running a single server configuration with TFS 2008 on Windows 2003.

I'm able to create tasks in Project server and automatically synchronize them with TFS, but if I update one of the project fields in TFS (Remaining work and/or completed work) and then Approve the change to send the data for the the work item to Project Server, it fails and I get the following error in the event log (sorry for the text dump)...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Library Logging
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 4/23/2008
Time: 5:41:39 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TFSRTM08
Description:
Timestamp: 4/23/2008 10:41:39 PM
Message: An exception occurred trying to create a new assignment via the Statusing APIs: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.
The request failed with the error message:
--
<HTML dir="ltr">
<HEAD><meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft SharePoint" /><meta name="progid" content="SharePoint.WebPartPage.Document" /><meta HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><meta HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" content="0" /><meta name="ROBOTS" content="NOHTMLINDEX" /><title>

Error

</title><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/_layouts/1033/styles/core.css?rev=5msmprmeONfN6lJ3wtbAlA%3D%3D"/>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/_layouts/1033/init.js?rev=VhAxGc3rkK79RM90tibDzw%3D%3D"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/_layouts/1033/core.js?rev=F8pbQQxa4zefcW%2BW9E5g8w%3D%3D"></script>

<meta name="Robots" content="NOINDEX " />
<meta name="SharePointError" content=""/>
</HEAD>
<BODY scroll="yes" onload="javascript:if (typeof(_spBodyOnLoadWrapper) != 'undefined') _spBodyOnLoadWrapper();">
<form name="aspnetForm" method="post" action="../../_layouts/error.aspx" id="aspnetForm" onsubmit="return _spFormOnSubmitWrapper();">
<div>
<input type="hidden" name="_VIEWSTATE" id="_VIEWSTATE" value="/wEPDwUKLTU2NjkxODU3M2RkaPGvQVWJbQCQ2VfMAvFJ9bs90H8=" />
</div>

<TABLE class="ms-main" CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 BORDER=0 WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%">
<tr><td>
<table CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 BORDER=0 WIDTH="100%">
<tr>
<td colspan=4 class="ms-globalbreadcrumb" align="right">
 
Coordinator
Apr 24, 2008 at 11:47 AM
Any updates to a resource's assignments must be done as that user when leveraging Project Server's Statusing API (the API that allows EPMs to accept/reject task updates and creations). As such, the Connector must impersonate the resource before making an update. If the siteGuid or SSPUrl are configured incorrectly you will get the error message you are seeing. Please look at the FAQ where I outlined the steps to identify the siteGuid and SSPUrl and update the configuration for the Connector.

HTH,
Lenny
Apr 24, 2008 at 5:02 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2008 at 5:04 PM
Hi Lenny,

Thanks for your response. I reinstalled the various components and I was able to have some success, but I'm not sure it's related to the re-install. Here's my current state.

Task Synchronization works as expected but only with tasks assigned to the TFSService account. If the task is assigned to anyone else, I get the failure I mentored above. I'm going to review what permissions the other accounts I'm working with, but I'm pretty sure that I gave all of the team members pretty liberal permissions (well beyond what I'd assign if this was a production environment).

If I had the siteGuid or SSPUrl configured incorrectly, would I still be able to get success when the task is assigned to the TFSService account (which, BTW is also the connector service account).

Ta.
Steve Porter
Technical Program Manager - Imaginet Academy
MCSD, MCT, MCTS
stevep@imaginets.com
http://homepage.mac.com/stevevrporter/blog/Ta.html
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2008 at 5:17 PM
Actually, if you have the siteGuid or SSPUrl wrong, you'd get the symptom you are faced with. The Connector does a check to see if it has to impersonate -- when tasks are assigned to TFSService, it does not. Thus, only impersonated tasks are failing. My guess is that one of these config settings are still incorrect.